Friday, November 14, 2014

Creamy Lemon-Peper Chicken Soup *Updated!*


A few weeks ago, we celebrated my husbands 31st birthday at a little Greek restaurant near our home. The soup of the day was a lemon & rice soup that was a little odd, but very delicious. I knew I wanted to recreate this soup so I set out on my handy dandy laptop and began searching.  I learned that the name of the soup is Avgolemono and is made with eggs. The soup I created is egg-less as I am not a big egg lover. It was a fun recipe to create and it is so delicious. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.





Creamy Lemon-Pepper Chicken Soup
Ingredients:
Directions:  

1.  In a pot add 6 cups of water, chicken base, and chicken.

2.  Mince Shallots and add to the pot. Zest the whole lemon and add to the pot. Slice up half the lemon and add to the pot. Bring to a boil and cook until chicken is no longer pink.

3.  When chicken is done, remove from pot and shred with a fork. Remove lemon slices and add the chicken back to the pot. Squeeze the juice from the second half of the lemon into the soup. Add black pepper and salt. Allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes. 

4.   Add the carrots and heavy cream. Simmer another 10-15 minutes. 

5. Add 1/4 cup rice to each bowl and evenly divide the soup. 
SERVES: 6

209 Cal  6.54g Fat  18.25g Carb  20.31g Protein
1.8g Fiber  2.02g Sugar  475mg Sodium 
6 Cups
Water
7 tsp
Better Than Bouillon Chicken Base
1 Lb
Boneless/Skinless Chicken Breast
1 large
Lemon
3
Shallots (minced)
1 Cup
Shredded Carrots
6 Tbsp
Heavy Cream
Dash
Sea Salt
1 Tbsp
Cracked Black Pepper
1.5 Cups
Cooked Brown Rice
(TJ* Organic Brown Rice)







*TJ = Trader Joe's



** THE NUTRITION INFORMATION WAS CALCULATED USING A RECIPE GENERATOR THAT DIVIDES INGREDIENTS BETWEEN SERVINGS. I CAN NOT GUARANTEE 100% ACCURACY AND THE INFORMATION SHOULD BE USED AS A GUIDELINE ONLY.

ADVISORY
I am not a certified dietician, nutritionist, or medical professional.
  I use the above as a guideline on my own personal journey and hope to inspire others to 
make a change that will better their health and life. 
Please contact your physician if you are seriously considering making a 
healthy lifestyle change and you desire to lose weight or if you have specific dietary needs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment